Accessible campus map example

Aricia
Aricia Member
edited September 2018 in CCC Accessibility Center
Does anyone have a good example of an accessible campus map? According W3C, it would need a long description. I'm just not sure how best to describe the location of buildings on a map to someone that is site impaired. I would appreciate an example if anyone knows of a good one.

Answers

• Sheryl
    Sheryl Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi Aricia

You can find some examples of long descriptions on the AccessibilityOz website: https://www.accessibilityoz.com/factsheets/interactive-maps/developer-checklist/#appendix-A

The W3C also has an example: https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/complex/

Kind regards
    Sheryl
  • Aricia
    Aricia Member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you, the AccessibilityOz reference is helpful.

The W3C tutorial was not helping me with maps specifically. I am working at making a campus map accessible. If I understand the examples correctly, I need to list each building as a specific distance from another along a pathway. Would you recommend just choosing a starting point from which to describe the distance of each building? Maybe start at the Administration building at the Northwest side of campus at the end of the circle at the Haley entrance to campus and then list each building with the distance from the Administration Building in feet along the footpath to each building?

I was hoping to get an example from what other colleges are doing and can't find one. I appreciate your patience and help with this.
    Aricia
  • Sheryl
    Sheryl Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi Aricia

Yes, I would pick a starting point and the Administration building would be the ideal choice. You will want to describe in a logical path what the buildings are and how far they are from the walking path. 

Hopefully you do get some examples from the other colleges, but we will be happy to review the long description to help you along the way.

Stay in touch, we're here to help.

Kind regard
    Sheryl