Is there a way to place PDF files into Indesign such that they keep their accessibility when exporte

Aricia
Aricia Member
edited March 2019 in CCC Accessibility Center
We create our catalog in Indesign and documents are provided for the catalog that are PDF. I make sure all of the PDFs are accessible, but I discovered that when I "Place" them in Indesign pages and then export the catalog, they become an image and are no longer accessible. Is there another way to import them without losing the accessibility or do I have to recreate them in Indesign? I looked on Adobe and cannot find an answer to this question. The only explanation is to use the "place" tool.

Answers

• Leah_Stiglianese
    edited April 2018

Have you tried saving the documents "Save as other" and selecting extended accessibility yet?

• Aricia
    Aricia Member
    edited April 2018
    I received an email that there is a reply, but it isn't showing here yet. The question "Have you tried saving the documents "Save as other" and selecting extended accessibility yet?"

I did try that, but that makes no difference for InDesign. It still exports it as an image without bringing over the tags. 
  • Gian
    Gian Member
    edited May 2018
    Good question. I am sure there is a way. We are just consulting with some experts and will get back to you.
  • Gian
    Gian Member
    edited May 2018

Are you inserting full PDFpages into the InDesign catalog pages or attempting to put a PDF page on pagein the InDesign catalog?

If the former, add those pages after the catalog has been converted to a PDF document as youcan now insert correctly tagged pages into a PDF and have the Tag Tree correctautomatically.

Let me know if it is the latter and I will do some more investigating.
  • Aricia
    Aricia Member
    edited May 2018
    It's the latter, when you place the file into the InDesign document such that it may be only part of the PDF that shows.
  • Gian
    Gian Member
    edited May 2018

We have received some feedback from our expert:

Unfortunately, InDesign doesn’t recognize the live text and graphics in a PDF that’s placed in an INDD layout. The PDF is treated as a graphic, regardless of whether it was originally accessible or not.

There is no workaround, other than rebuild the page(s) natively in InDesign. You could use a tool like PDF2ID by Recosoft https://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/ which will create a live InDesign file of the PDF. Then copy/paste that result into the catalog layout and make it accessible from there.

They also recommend that you contact Adobe to make placed PDFs accessible via their User View feature request website. We’ve been haranguing them for a long time to do this, but they need to hear from customers, not just us insiders! https://indesign.uservoice.com/

I hope that helps.

• Aricia
    Aricia Member
    edited May 2018
    Thank you for tracking that down for me. I will go and write about integration as soon as this project is done.